This 3 ingredient banana pancakes recipe will become your favorite way to use overripe bananas. The recipe for these banana pancakes is made with whole wheat flour and only three ingredients total! It’s a healthy breakfast for kids (and the whole family).
Typically, you can find us eating eggless waffles on the regular. They are Ben’s (my 3 year old toddler) favorite and I make them in large batches to keep in the freezer. But lately, I’ve been making this pancake recipe instead.
I have made these banana pancakes more times than I can count. The recipe is so easy and from one of my favorite cookbooks called Cooking That Counts (by the editors of Cooking Light). Each recipe in the cookbook comes with serving suggestions and different toppings.
Usually, when my bananas are about to go bad, I turn to making banana bread, but I was making a lot of it and was getting a little tired of it! Plus, I usually ended up eating pretty much the whole loaf so these banana pancakes help that little problem and they’re delicious – a pretty great alternative and way to use brown bananas.
Much like the waffles I mentioned above, these pancakes also freeze well. So, they are now part of our regular breakfast rotation because I can prep a lot at one time and freeze for the whole week.
Another reason I love these 3 ingredient banana pancakes is because all you need to make them is:
- 1 banana
- 2 tbs whole wheat flour
- 1 egg
Those simple ingredients combine to make naturally sweetened and healthy banana pancakes. Now, I can’t claim responsibility for how much sugary syrup your kiddos dump on top, but at least the base is a good healthy place to start!
Ben could eat a whole stack of these, and often does. These were also one of the first soft foods I fed to Freddie and Frankie (my 1 year old twins). Easy to break up into small pieces and feed babies as they are getting used to chewing.
Quick tip: for a fun variety of toppings, take a peak at the notes section in the recipe card. Everyone in our family loves these pancakes and everyone in yours will too!
Here are a few helpful things to use when making this recipe:
Next time you’re looking for an easy healthy breakfast, look no further than these 3 ingredient banana pancakes
- 1 ripe banana mashed
- 2 Tbs whole wheat flour
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- Mash the banana with a fork until smooth. Add the flour and egg; stir well with a whisk.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. (Optional to spray with cooking spray). Spoon the batter onto the skillet, using one-third of the batter for each pancake. I like to use a large cookie scoop for equal size pancakes.
- Cook 2 minutes, or until the tops are covered with bubbles and the edges look cooked. Carefully turn the pancakes over; cook 1 to 2 minutes or until the bottoms are lightly browned.
- maple syrup
- powdered sugar
- fresh sliced strawberries or blueberries mixed with sugar
- chopped toasted walnuts or pecans and honey
- Greek yogurt mixed with honey