This 5 ingredient healthy slow cooker buffalo chicken and quinoa is perfect for a protein filled lunch or dinner recipe that is comforting, delicious and healthy all at the same time. It’s great for meal prepping and is an easy crock pot recipe!
Fall is finally here and I am loving it…and then it snowed this week (too early!) Don’t get my wrong, summer is great, but by the end of August, I am usually ready to trade in my t-shirt for a sweater. Starting in the fall and straight through winter, you can almost always find my slow cooker on my counter.
I’ve shared plenty of slow cooker recipes on the blog before, but this one is quickly finding its way to the top of my favorites list because of the subtle kick of heat. I love dishes that are slightly spicy but still mellow enough to feed the whole family (not everyone loves the spice!). The combination of hot sauce and Greek yogurt create the perfect balance.
Chicken and quinoa are a favorite combo of mine because I can get two servings of protein in one delicious meal; quinoa and chicken. And there’s Greek yogurt in this recipe so more protein! I have another slow cooker recipe for salsa chicken and quinoa that’s another favorite healthy slow cooker option for busy fall nights.
Do you remember a time when quinoa wasn’t a thing? Like no one was eating it? I remember a hilarious parody song where they’re joking about Whole Foods; fast forward to 2:22 and they mention quinoa. I honestly use this song as a marker of when quinoa became popular. But, I digress!
When I’m cooking in my slow cooker, we always have tons of leftovers. I love when this happens because that means that I can turn this tasty dinner into a lunch for later in the week! Win-win. I throw it into my favorite meal prep containers with a side of spinach or green beans and grapes or berries and I’m good to go!
Before I wrap up, if I haven’t already given you enough reasons to love this recipe – it’s healthy, has tons of protein, is made in a slow cooker and creates plenty of leftovers – it’s also only 5 ingredients (perfect for a Five Ingredient Fridays recipe!)
- hot sauce
- Greek yogurt
If you’re brand new to the blog, I love sharing Five Ingredient Recipes with you all to help make mealtime easier for everyone! Next time you’re in need of a healthy family slow cooker meal with 5 ingredients, look no further than this 5 ingredient slow cooker buffalo chicken and quinoa recipe!
Other recipes you might enjoy:
- 5 ingredient Chicken Gnocchi with Alfredo Pesto
- 5 Ingredient Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken and Quinoa
- Parmesan Crusted Chicken with Quinoa and Vegetables
5 Ingredient Healthy Slow Cooker Chicken and Quinoa
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups of water
- 1/4 cup hot sauce - Cholula or Franks
- 2 large chicken breasts - 1.25 pounds
- 1 cup Greek Yogurt whole milk plain
- 1/2 cup - 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- In a slow cooker add quinoa, water and chicken (in that order). Sprinkle with salt. Cover with hot sauce.
- Cook on high for 1.5 hours. You know it is done when chicken is cooked through and has reached an internal temperature of 165. Remove from heat/turn slow cooker off and remove lid.
- After 15 minutes, stir in Greek yogurt and shred chicken/break up into chunks and top with cheese.