This week on Catching up with the Kelnhofers, I’m re-capping all of the great new posts on the blog this past week, sharing all of the great things on the grill and talking about a fun summer adventure Ben and I went on.
This past weekend was the 4th of July…so what do you do when you’re all dressed up and have nowhere to go?
Take photos of course, lol.
It was too funny not to. I had outfits for the kids from last year (Ben fit into his outfit from last year) and I had hand-me downs for the twins – I had a blue dress from my sister-in-law’s wedding which was a 4th of July wedding 5 years ago!
And we grilled out, that was our 4th…how was yours? Check out some adorable corn pics below!
New On The Blog:
I have all sorts of new content on the blog this past week. In case you missed some of the new posts, you can check them out below:
- Catching up with the Kelnhofers – our weekly family update
- Rhubarb Cake – if you never know what to do with all of your rhubarb, this cake is the perfect answer
- 12 Best Audiobooks on my Summer 2020 Listening List – I am always looking for recommendations, so i hop this list helps you discover something new.
- Scrambled Eggs and Toast – Ben’s favorite breakfast; he calls it ‘Eggy Toast’
- Love List – 2 – My new favorite blog series; sharing things I’m loving throughout the week
What to Make:
We’re really loving our grill basket (which is on sale for $29.99!). We use it almost daily and have made all of these things with it lately:
- Grilled broccoli
- Corn on the Cob
- Balsamic vegetables
- Burgers so we can enjoy pizza burgers throughout the week
- Yogurt marinated chicken from my 5 ingredient cookbook. I made it a double batch so we can enjoy it throughout the week! It’s so yummy.
What I Made:
- Ben helped me make grilled balsamic veggies – we used our favorite grill basket which is on sale for $29.99. I cannot tell you how often we use it!!
- We love chocolate chip cookies in this house. I made these salted caramel chocolate chip cookies and these vanilla bean chocolate chunk cookies for the kids’ birthday last week.
- When I heard about a company called The Very Best Cookie In The Whole Wide World, I had to try them! The company was started during quarantine, so it’s a super new one woman company. There was a little shipping delay, but they were still good. The favorite was the buttah pecan ones and we did a fun taste test with Ben and my sister in law!
- For 4th of July we made burgers with the best burger seasoning and we had corn on the cob. That burger seasoning mix, you guys, you have to try it, it takes burgers from ok to WOW. But don’t just take my word for it…over 4,700 people have favorited the recipe!!
A reader comment that speaks volumes about the simplicity of the tasty sour cream and chive turkey burgers.
- “We love these turkey burgers on the grill. So easy to make and taste delicious.”
Sharing two reader recreations from people who made my baked chicken, potatoes, carrots and herbs (best when from the Farmers Market!). This dish is a great summer dinner.
Links from Around the Web:
- I had asked on Instagram stories what makeup primer people were using/loving, and several people mentioned the color correcting primer from Stila – it’s out of stock a lot of places but I found it in stock online at Ulta and got it – after a week of using it I can share that I love it!
What I’m Reading:
- I finished Beach Read (by Emily Henry) – (5/5 stars, 3/5 flames) And right now, I’d say this has been my favorite book I’ve read all year!! I even want to re-read it, and that’s honestly a first in ages!!
- Maybe it’s my stage in life or whatever, but I did not like the book Summer Longing. It felt like there were so many started/stopped conversations that didn’t go anywhere that should have, and it seemed incredibly slow, and the ending seemed to be wrapped up but …why? and what? UGH, did anyone else read this? I’d love to know your thoughts. I hate rating things not good because I know books are so subjective, but I’d give this one a 2/5.
- I haven’t read a physical book in a few months, but I find it very relaxing, so I just ordered this one called Only When It’s Us which was recommended to me by a friend. She said it’s a very cute story and very steamy, so if you’re looking for a good sexy romance.
What I’m Watching:
- Netflix movie Desperados came out – it was such a cute RomCom!!
- Am I the only one that doesn’t like live theater recordings? Hamilton came out on Disney Plus, and it’s such an amazing musical, but I just couldn’t get in to it. I feel so odd saying that because it’s such a work of art.
- You know it’s summertime when your kids act crazy inside and demand popsicles – we have started giving Ben a bowl with popsicles because otherwise he gets them everywhere.
- Ben was getting a little stir crazy inside and so I said “we’re going on an adventure” and took him out of the house. I had no idea where we were going, I just packed his swim suit and started driving towards the lake. We live in Milwaukee, so Lake Michigan is 15 minutes away which is amazing. On the way down to the lake I passed a friends house and she said she was out having coffee by herself and the cafe had tables set up far apart. So we took a detour and stopped for coffee/a snack. It was so nice.
- I had Ben’s mask (he’s so good about wearing it for a 3 year old!) and we ordered a treat. The cafe had contactless ordering and then put the snack on a bench outside so there was no touching and everyone was spaced out. Considering it was my first outing to a public place since early March, it was really nice!!
- We then went to lake and found a spot away from the main beach where Ben was throwing rocks into the lake and playing, the water was so clear and stunning. It was such a fun day!! Then we came home and did some watering of the plants.
- Freddie casually steals food from Frankie’s tray when she’s not looking, it’s so funny!
- My beautiful kale plants got attacked by cabbage worms – so gross and sad!!
- Random summer scenes of the kids. Frankie gets really funny morning hair and Nick snapped this great picture of Ben watching planes.
- The kids’ babysitter had gotten Frankie a walker thing for her birthday, Ben had a shopping cart thing, and she said she felt bad Freddie didn’t have anything, so she got him one. Now all the kids have one, LOL. They had so much fun and they are all so loud, haha!!
- Guess who is walking too? FREDDIE! He just got up and started walking in the kitchen; I couldn’t believe it. Now both twins are taking steps and alternating between crawling and walking!
- I really have to brag on Nick for a second. Last week, I had a really tough week and he suggested I take a bath to relax. I did and it was amazing. I haven’t taken a bath in what I feel like is years. I had a bath bomb and, in passing, I casually told him it was my last bath bomb. This week, he handed me a box…he got me new bath bombs from this store we had visited in Vegas! It’s called Basin and their products smell amazing (especially the pink sugar). I felt so heard and loved. Also, he made a funny comment that this company’s products smelled more womanly than teenage – you know the stores I’m talking about, lol! Also, like how I snapped a photo on a high chair!?
- It started pouring and has been a long week, Nick made us watermelon margaritas (just watermelon/margarita mix/a splash of tequila) and our favorite microwave popcorn (we buy in bulk from Amazon, lol) and we watched the storm, it was lovely.
Did you know?
Did you know I have an Instagram account and share daily life/behind the scenes? I also have a ‘faves’ highlight in my profile? I am always working on highlights and am currently in the process of updating each and every one!
Popular This Week:
- Most visited blog post: these tasty pizza burgers!
- Most liked Instagram post: our 4th of July celebration
- Most pinned image: these pizza burgers that the whole family will love!
- Most viewed YouTube video: we’re still here with eggless waffles remaining the most popular video.
- Most purchased item: the Nike slides that I talked about in last week’s newsletter.
How is your week going? How have you been doing? Just leave a comment below and let me know!