This super decadent and rich double chocolate loaf recipe is all you’ve ever wanted and dreamed of in a dessert that pairs super well with all the summer berries that are in season right now.
After the incredible last week I had with my cookbook launch (more about that here and don’t forget to enter the super awesome giveaway that’s happening here) it is time to celebrate, and this double chocolate loaf cake is more than worthy of serving for a celebration.
Made with two kinds of chocolate (chocolate chips and cocoa powder) and a hint of coffee added to bring out even more intense chocolate flavors, this loaf is pretty much the best chocolate loaf ever. When I first made the loaf, I could not stop eating it, every time I’d walk by I’d have a little bite. I literally had to give it to my hubby to take to work because I was in fear I would eat the whole thing by myself, it’s THAT good!
And is it just me, or if the word ‘loaf’ is in the recipe title do you automatically associate it with being ‘healthier’? I know it’s not, but I like to think it is, because that justifies having more than one piece, right? LOL. But seriously, I have a love of baking loaves, there’s something homey and romantic feeling about making a delicious loaf – just like with this zucchini banana nutella swirl loaf from last year, they’re so yummy and great for sharing at family gatherings or with coworkers.
A note I would make about this loaf is that after baking it and letting it cool, the top forms a little bit of a crust and does sink in a little (which is totally a-ok) and what I like to do is cut the loaf in 8-10 pieces, and then cut each slice in half for prettier serving.
This double chocolate loaf is super dense and chocolatey bite after bite, it goes great with summer berries. Here I’m serving it with raspberries, but it would also go great with strawberries, blueberries, blackberries – basically it would go great with any berries you have on hand (or it would even go great with cherries)!
Other recipes you might enjoy:
- Upside down apple and pear loaf recipe
- The Best Pumpkin Loaf (Gluten Free and better than Starbucks)
- 5 Ingredient Dessert – Chocolate Cake for Two
Double Chocolate Loaf Recipe
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips abt. 6 oz
- 1/2 cup butter 1 stick, unsalted
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup hot brewed coffee
- 1/4 cup hot water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper and then spray lightly with cooking spray.
- In a microwave safe bowl add chocolate chips and butter. Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in-between each 30 second interval until the chocolate and butter are smooth and creamy (about 1 minute and 30 seconds).
- Add brown sugar and vanilla extract and stir to combine.
- Next, add in eggs and stir to combine.
- Then add in flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda and stir to combine.
- Slowly pour in coffee and hot water, and stir to combine. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 45-50 minutes (until a the loaf is baked almost through but has a slight jiggle to the center still).
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before cutting and serving.
- Serve with fresh berries
Recipe slightly adapted from Nigella Lawson’s recipe for dense chocolate loaf cake.