I cannot wait to tell you guys what the most underrated kitchen appliance I own is. Any guesses? We use it every single day in our house….
Our toaster oven!
This is the one we have! It’s super old, but it works like a charm, and it’s a kitchen appliance that won’t break the bank. We got ours for $50!
I was talking to a friend about how much I loved our toaster oven, and she giggled and admitted that she had never cooked anything in a toaster oven and definitely didn’t own one at her own house (insert shocked face here). I could not imagine not having one!
In case you also don’t have a toaster oven and also have never really used one, we basically use it as an alternative to our oven; it’s like a quicker oven!
Here are just a few of the ways we use our toaster oven:
- I heat up our eggless waffles and you guys know how often we eat those in our house (right now I have a 3 year old who wakes up and requests the waffles).
- Warming up burritos is one my favorite ways to use the toaster oven- it gives them a nice crispy crunchy outside (I make these vegetarian black bean burritos)
- I don’t like microwave re-heated meat, so I ALWAYS use my toaster oven to warm up meat. We heat up chicken tenders (my recipe for un-fried cornflake chicken) or any other type of chicken.
- I make open-face sandwich, like these surf and turf melts, but I also love making a kid-friendly version which I just call cheese melts; simply a slice of cheese and a few slices of tomato.
- It’s great for toasting buns that are too big to go in a toaster.
- Sweet potato black bean burgers – for the kids, I just make small little bite-sized nuggets and they love them!
- Anytime I want something with a little crispy crust, we throw it in the toaster oven! Like, my egg cups for example. These are the best a little crispy.
- Nachos! These are a fave in our house.
- Cookies are another favorite thing to make in the toaster oven. These ones are super easy to just pop a few out of the freezer and bake them for a quick sweet treat.
- We re-heat our pizza. Or even make these pizzas with the kids.
- Garlic bread is super simple – just smear a little butter on the bread, sprinkle with garlic salt and bake. You can also use the toaster oven to reheat the garlic bread. Or, if you’re looking for a crazy good garlic bread – try this one!!
- Quesadillas are another delicious thing to quickly make for the kids in the toaster oven.
I could go on and on about toaster oven recipes since we use ours all the time! I truly believe a toaster oven is the most underrated kitchen appliance I own. It’s great for anything that’s cooked, coming out of the freezer that needs to be warmed.
And with that, I will leave you with one final toaster oven tip – don’t forget to line the tray with foil. It makes cleanup so much easier!
What do you like making in the toaster oven? Let me know in the comments below.